Friday, August 28, 2009

the BIG city...10%

It has been CRAZY here, so busy getting my new home situated! It has been fun though. My mom just left today to go back home....I am alone now, I am all grown up!

FASHION INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY

CAMPUS
We have a wonderful campus here! there are trees on the street, and each of the buildings are on the same block i live on. There are 5 Buildings and they connect and are right across the street from my dorm. There are security guards everywhere, at each street entrance and at each door! You can not get into any building without a student ID and for visitors to get into the dorms you have to sign in, and sign out, it is very efficient and no strangers can go anywhere! It is safe and protected! FIT is a DRY CAMPUS. no alcohol is allowed anywhere and neither is smoking. Of course people here go out and party but if they come home too drunk they will be sent to the hospital and if anyone is caught with alcohol they will be kicked out of the dorms and possibly school! It is a really great policy i think, honestly I dont know how anyone thinks they will succeed while drinking but these freshmen don't know better yet, they haven't experienced college.

ROOM....ROOMMATES
I own pans! haha it has been so fun getting my room ready. I have half of a small room to fit all my clothes, bed, desk, school supplies, shoes, suitcases, cleaning supplies, hair stuff, jewelry, bathroom necessities, food, cooking utensils/supplies, towels, laundry stuff, EVERYTHING! haha it is difficult. There kitchen and bathroom are so small all 4 of us can't fit our stuff in there like home so i had to stuff it all in my 1/2 of a small room. Thank goodness for the container store, it saved my life! haha I love it, and everything fits! Also thanks to my amazing mother who helped me all week long get everything organized. I love my room and my bed is so so so so so comfy! We have A/C which is more than I can say for the other dorms. I made my first meal today, it actually wasn't very good at all haha, but i tried and that is what counts. My roommates are all great! It is really a testimony to me that i am suppose to be here cause Heavenly Father definitely blessed me. All of us agree that we won't eat each others food, and that we'll clean up after ourselves, etc. So I don't think there will be any problems. My actual roommate is so great, actually perfect! She has all of the same standards as me, no drugs, drinking, coffee, boys, partying, everything. She is a home body like me and we really get along, I am so grateful and blessed!

CHURCH
My Church was AMAZING. especially relief society, it was really good and very friendly. I met a girl who went to Timp View who now goes to FIT and she is really nice, she lives off campus though and she isn't in my major but it is nice to have a church buddie. Also she met someone in my dorm that is LDS, I haven't met her yet but I am very happy to have someone in my dorm who i can go to church with. It is real close, just 3 subway stops downtown, and the temple is close to just about 5-6 subway stops uptown. Really there isn't a better place to be living in all of NYC. it is perfect here.

CLASSES
Well not many people are in my major...at all, it is really small. I am in Fashion Design and most people are in merchandising, marketing, etc. there are many other majors. And beyond fashion design already being small i am in the 1 year program and there are only 50 of us, and it is INTENSE. I am really nervous about it so please pray for me. I have 17 1/2 credit hours, all designing classes and i am so excited but FREAKED OUT! ah!!! whenever i tell anyone i am in fashion design they all say....GOod Luck, haha that is the hardest major, you'll never sleep.............. ah! A cool fact i found out was there are about 2700 applicants for Fashion Design and 250 get in.. less than 10% and only 50 of us are 1 year. CRAZY

This week has been so great, I am so excited about the adventure that begins on MOnday, cause they did warn us that classes really begin monday, assignments, projects everything! I'll post some pictures with I take some! hopefully tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment