Thursday, March 10, 2011

Dressing the Part

Interviews... I hate them, but I love dressing for them!

Dressing the part can be hard to figure out, the risk of being over dressed or under dressed is also stressful. What is appropriate? Is this too flashy? How do I show my style and dress professionally? Should I wear heels? etc. etc. etc. These questions all flow through our heads and can cause anxiety.

A few tips I have chosen to follow are..
-Be comfortable and confident: If you like heels and feel confident in them, wear them, if not... don't pretend you do. I personally will take ANY excuse to wear heels since campus is not the ideal location for them and that is where I normally am.
-Dress above the part: It is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS better to be over-dressed than under-dressed. I promise. (In all aspects of life-not just interviews)
-Coordinate with the job you are wanting: I was interviewing at a Bridal Store, so I was classy, sophisticated, and wore white with a little sparkle. When I interviewed at J.Crew I wore staple J.Crew pieces, not pieces that screamed "I'm wearing J.Crew!" For example I wore a clean color that looks best on me (a silk navy ruffled tee) with a simple gray cardigan and a dark denim pencil skirt with a gold necklace. Each item was J.Crew but (minus the silk tee) could have been found some other place. Also, research the company-if they have a dress code, follow it.
-BE YOU!: If you love sparkle, wear it. If you love jewelry, wear it. If you hate skirts-don't wear one. Skirts and pants are both appropriate for women and can be dressed up accordingly.
-Always bring a resume and if fashion related-your portfolio.
-It is okay to be fashionable!!
(I was taking an interview course at FIT and it truly amazed me what some people considered "professional dress" fyi-holes, leggings, over sized tees, chunky heels, are all fine for everyday wear but they are NOT professional. Be conscious and fashionable-not necessarily trendy-I say stick to wools, silks, and woven fabrics-they are crisp and professional. Stay away from jeans, cotton t-shirts, and knits as your main pieces.)

No comments:

Post a Comment