Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Marraige and Family-Jan 31

I have to write a journal as an assignment in Marriage and Family ... maybe I'll start posting them here. I love this class. It is, so far, the most inspiration-filled religion class I have taken at BYU. It is so personal and modern and essential for everyone. (I recommend my teacher as well, Brother Dorius.)

Excerpts from my Class Notes:


Baseline revelations. 

We all receive revelation on the one we will marry … if it doesn’t seem like we are receiving answers … we are-they just may not seem like it because they are “no-brainer” revelations. When searching for a spouse there are 6 things that we should look for-and if the girl/guy have these things … then God is pleased. That is the revelation.
  1. Prayerful 
    •  If you report to Heavenly Father daily then you tend to be more humble and grateful
  2. Loves the Scriptures
    • Feasting upon scriptures opens up the doorway to Heaven, its revelatory power
  3. Observes the Sabbath Day/Church activity
    • (church callings/duties in general); e.g., callings (without complaint), temple attendance, serving (gratefully and cheerfully.)
  4. Nice dress and grooming
    • Represent the Lord, look the part
  5. Thoughtful and loving towards family
    • (but also willing/able to create own family, cut off the umbilical cord when needed)
  6. Keeps the commandments 
Remember, “You are not desperate.”

Revelation is not an event, it’s a process-it is not linear, God is non-linear, He is infinite. He answers in a process of living rather than by a single event. 

Satan makes war with the Saints. Once you make the decision to head to the Temple of the Lord, Satan tries ten-fold to get you to back down and say it’s too hard, it’s not right. Doubt and fear are of Satan. My teacher said, “Once the potential starts, all hell breaks loose.” (I think he meant literally!) 

If you’ve felt good once, if you’ve made the decision there is no need to doubt, IT IS RIGHT, Satan is just in the way. The revelation already came. Remember the revelation. D&C 6:14-24, it is applicable to us now … so key excerpts

:14 “… as often as thou hast inquired thou has received instruction of my Spirit. If it had not been so, THOU WOULDST NOT HAVE COME TO THIS PLACE WHERER THOU ART AT THIS TIME.” –Remember revelation. The Lord is on your side. 

:20 “… Be faithful and diligent in keeping the commandments of God, and I will encircle thee in the arms of my love.” –I LOVE those promises, the simple promise of comfort that at times is SO essential for living

:23 “Did I not speak peace to your mind concerning the matter? What greater witness can you have than from God?” –Feelings of trust, respect, hope, peace are of God, they are revelations. Remember them and listen carefully

My Thoughts/Journal Entry:
It comforts me to know that sometimes it is simpler than we try to make it seem. God wants us to be happy; Satan wants to bring us down. I love the idea of a revelation process rather than an event, it is just hard when we’ve been taught our whole life to "ask of God and do His will" because it almost makes it seem like we should expect a direct answer-and yes, at times we do, but other times if we are doing what is right-that is our answer. We don’t always need to look deeper. God is in every decision but He doesn’t desire to be the one making every decision. Come to God, inquire of Him, trust in Him, listen for His promptings-but do your best, keep the commandments and you'll be on the right track. Remember revelation.

My professor also shared a story of a girl who was putting of getting married, she had been dating this guy for years (both waited for each other on missions), she knew she should marry him ... she just said "I'm not ready to give up having fun yet." To which my professor replied...“Fun begins with marriage!” (Which I believe 100%!!!)

FYI: GREAT scripture-Mosiah Chapter 4 (it's even a link, just click on it!) It is FULL of good things. (especially vs. 6-7, 9, 11-12, 19-21)


Well ... now I am done with the fun homework. On to Econ and MCOM for the rest of the night. 2-12 holla!! (I will take an hour nap break hopefully and quickly stop by Talyn and Emily's place for some fondue-gotta live a little sometimes right?)

No comments:

Post a Comment