Friday, November 16, 2012

Gratitude Tuesday - Thursday

Thursday was the first Relief Society activity I helped plan (my new calling is RS activities chair) and it was a SUCCESS and seriously so great. We had a seminar on staying "Stress Free During the Holidays" by a lady who teaches Positive Psychology at the U. For me it was more about staying stress free and happy in general and I LOVED it! It was so great and such a good refresher about what I can be doing to help me stay happy. After she spoke we ate pie and swapped recipes which was a perfect way to get ready for Thanksgiving.

Here are some of my notes/thoughts from the talk.
  •  3 steps to LOVE (of self and others)

    1. Get to know the person (you or others).
    2. Make a decision to love or to not love then unconditionally accept that. Accept them and love them, who they are as a person. Not their decisions, not their potential, not what they can be but THEM as a person despite those things.
    3. “DO” for them. Serve them. If you are working on you, serve yourself.

  • Set realistic expectations. DON’T compare yourself to others
  • Happy people have 4 characteristics 

  1. Strengthen relationships
  2. Have meaning in life
  3. Are grateful
  4. Set goals

  • Be KIND. There is way too much negativity and harshness in the world.
  • “You are you” – accept and enjoy who you are
  • Know your limits – learn to say “no.” You can’t make anyone happy – they must make themselves happy, so don’t say “yes” to make someone “happy” if it will hurt you and in the end… still not make them “happy”
  • Acknowledge your feelings – WRITE them down
  • Write the negative, the anxiety of each day on a piece of paper then when you are finished writing rip of the paper and throw it away. Purge yourself of those negative emotions. Just as your body rids yourself of toxins that are hurting your body you must do the same. Throw them out – you wouldn’t keep your physical vomit so why should you keep your emotional vomit?
  • Write down and KEEP the positive of each day.
  • Focus on your STRENGTHS
    • Do this exercise. Write down as many strengths (2­0-30) you can think of for each of these 5 categories. Make sure they are “BEING” strengths, not doing strengths. Start each one with “I AM…”
  1. Social/relationship (kind, loving, compassionate, etc.)
  2. Education/career (dedicated, loyal, passionate, etc.)
  3. Physical (compliment yourself, nice ears, hair, hands, etc.)
  4. Spiritual (humble, repentant, etc.)
  5. Individual/interests/hobbies (creative, dancer, etc.)
  • When we focus on our strengths, we don’t get depressed
  • Don’t make “rules” (expectations) about OTHER people because you can’t control them and therefore you are setting yourself up for failure, rejection, and sadness. Don’t say, “This holiday my whole family will get along and there will be no fights.” That is a nice hope and wish but don’t expect that because you cannot control other people. If you have that rule/expectation in your mind and things don’t go like YOU planned then you will be miserable. That is just dumb because it’s not in your control anyways.
  • Happy people have meaning in life. Find meaning. For each day, for each holiday, for each year, etc.
  • Be grateful. List 3-5 things each day that you are grateful for.
  • Set goals and prioritize them based on meaning and what you need at this time.
  • Remember that you have God in your life – let that bring happiness.
  • Write down every day where you saw the Lord’s hand in your life.
 Wednesday I am grateful for the little things: sleeping, my bed, my soft blanket, showers, blow dryer, makeup, face wash, medicine, my body, food, my home, clothes, car, yoga, shaving, nail polish my scriptures, prayer, my talents, my job, my education, my family and friends, cake, my wedding, Netflix, music, cell phone, love... the list goes on and on.

Thursday I am grateful for my day. It was a day filled with fun activities - I left the house at 9 AM and got home at 9:30 PM. I haven't had a day like this in a very long time - usually I am sewing or running errands on my days off.
  • Pilates class
  • Massage!!! Amber moved to a new (less expensive) location!! She works at Ella Bloom and at her private practice. 
  • Lunch with my lovely Katie who I haven't seen in a long time at the Corner Bakery at Fashion Place Mall - super delicious 
  • Nordstrom and J.Crew shopping for shoes and earrings for my wedding - unsuccessful
  • Picked up my mom from the airport 
  • Stopped by the new J.Crew Factory in Lehi!!!! YAY!!! and found the shirts for my bridesmaids that I have been DREAMING about since day 1, I didn't think it was possible. SO EXCITED.
  • Saw the 7:00 showing of Breaking Dawn with my mom, Talyn, Kiara, their mom and her friends. It was SUPER good. I am a bit of a Twilight (book) fan. 
  • Ate at Taco Bell (my favorite fast food that I haven't had in a while)
  • Chatted with family 
  • Talked with Taylor on the phone for a long while 
Pretty perfect day. 

I can't believe it is almost Thanksgiving!! Where has the year gone????
    


No comments:

Post a Comment