Friday, December 11, 2009

a day in the life of a designer

I woke up to this text from my bestie Talyn "..I happen to know for a FACT that your THursday is going to be chalk full of blog material!" So here it goes.........
7:00 am. morning time. read, write, clean, eat, etc...
8:45 present time. Day 10... pretty earrings, and m&ms
9:00 class time. I am Professor Simonton worthy. I finished my final drape for the coat I am making in one of my draping classes, George Simonton (look him up in saks) approved of my design, now I am off to make the pattern and then sew the final garment in muslin. If it turns out good then I will make it in real fabric over the break. no sneak preview of this baby, it is a complete surprise! I am very ahead in this class and feel really good about my final project. It is my favorite, he is my favorite, I am going to miss him terribly!
1:00 lunch time. Leftover chili from FHE, chit chat with mommy, received notice of a package!!!
2:00 class time. Sewing class. working on a horribly ugly blouse. Love sewing when it is my design, my idea, my creation... not so much when it is forced, ugly, and boring. BUT good news. along with the final blouse we have a final sewing exam and....... SHE CANCELED IT! since we are the 1 years, we have a huge work load and she felt sorry for our poor tired souls! She is an ANGEL!
5:00 nap time. power nap because I could literally not keep my eyes open during sewing, I am surprised I didn't sew my finger off! I literally had to re-sew my sleeve into the armhole one too  many times cause I wasn't functioning properly haha
6:30 class time. Photoshop/Illustrator class. way behind, lack computer skills.......
7:30...(left early) food time. Good ole' subway, nutrients to burst my brain activity and give me some energy. ALSO my second caffeinated beverage of the semester.............(you'll see why it was needed). practically got blown over on the walkway cause the wind here was SO CRAZY. literally couldn't walk straight, if i was 20 lbs. lighter I would have been a goner.......
8:00 tay time! my package was from Debbie (Elder Wilkins) mom. He had sent home videos of him on his mission and she sent them to me. So I got to see my BEST FRIEND for a few minutes, one video I would like to share... hopefully he doesn't mind..

This is what happens when you mix...



 Actually... maybe I can't upload videos as easily as I thought... but pretty much the missionaries did a dance for a church party and it was pretty legit! I'll try to work it out so I can post it. Pretty much made my day.

8:30 work time... Finishing up my final dress for my other draping class.... detail work and hem... doesn't sound like a lot......... well it was haha and it was an adventure. China silk is BEAUTIFUL, one of my favorite fabrics but it SUCKS to hem!!!!!!!! and for the record Silk Dupioni is a LIFE SAVER!!! love it!
11:15 problem/freak out time... as I was taking my dress off the form, the zipper got caught in the lining......... Result..BIG HOLE IN LINING. UNfixable.
11:55 hem time... blind hem by hand..... the devil! BUT i did find out I am really pretty fast at it! So that was good news.
12:53 pause time... exciting text from Talyn!
1:45 am slight party time... FINISHED HEM!
2:00 school classroom closes, room time... sewed (by hand) all my detail work, closures, touch ups etc. while watching a movie that my friend from my block lent me. Hand work and silence cause insanity so it was Christmas music until my ipod died, then movie time.
4:00 am REAL party time, sleep time. SIX hours of hand sewing later.... my dress is complete and I am TIRED. set alarm for 7:00 to finish up some final details...
8:30 am...... missed alarm time.........oops...... no shower for bree this morning
9:00 press time. finalize garment, fit on form.

10:00 present to teacher time. NERVOUS. She will make you redo anything she doesn't approve of. really don't want to redo ANYTHING......... my turn. She looks at my garment and says "whoa, the reality of your garment is much better than your sketch!" She admired, checked my lining (I only flipped open the side that wasn't trashed by the zipper) and was sad to see me go without needing her approval again because SHE LIKED IT! I only have to put in my hook and eye (I only had silver with me and I need black)



10:10 relax time... until meetings/class at 1:00

2 comments:

  1. Bree! You are crazier than I thought! I loved hearing about your whole day. I was talking to your mom the other day and thought I need to leave you a little comment. I'm so impressed with your mad sewing skills. You're incredible. Glad things are going good out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bree! I'm glad to hear you're loving life and Tay is doing so well! Keep it up girl!

    ReplyDelete