Sunday, April 3, 2011

treats of all kinds

I feel like I am way behind on my posts but... with school winding to an end and everything I've just been super busy. I always think of something I want to blog about and then by now I forget... Basically this whole post is about food... somehow my life tends to revolve around it.

Thursday after class I NEEDED ice cream. I was craving Licorice Ice Cream from Farr's (don't judge. It is seriously heaven on earth, even for some who don't love black licorice-I love it! and I suggest that it be given a try by all). The problem with craving and loving this flavor of ice cream is that at first it was only located in Ogden (and the real good stuff is still only there and sometimes at Harmon's if you're lucky) but Farr's opened up a soft serve/custard/weigh it yourself-type place 2 minutes from my house. Again the downfall is that they don't carry all the flavors all the time... therefore black licorice ice cream is a treasure to find. Thursday was my lucky day. After finishing my HUGE anthropology paper my lovely Katie graced me with her presence. I haven't seen her since she's been back from spending Spring Break in NYC with her boyfriend, Daren. She makes me happy. It was wonderful.
Licorice Ice Cream with Mochi, Marshmallows, and Cheesecake Bites
Friday... nothing important happened. I wrote a book report. OH, and I started choreographing my dance for FIT. I am really excited about it! The book I read was His Final Hours by Jeffrey Marsh and it was AMAZING! There will be a post coming about this book. I highly suggest it! It is super short (117 pages) and a WONDERFUL read.

Saturday I started my new job @ Avenia Bridal. I was unable to watch Saturday Conference but... it is recorded and I am looking forward to watching it sometime soon. Our Conference tradition is homemade cinnamon rolls. Yes, I know... we are AWESOME. Fresh out of the oven right before I had to leave for work made for a delightful day.

So technically I am more of a bride/design consultant at Avenia but today I was in the back room sewing and helping to touch up and alter the dresses! It was AMAZING! I've missed sewing. I felt slightly inadequate because I had no idea what I was doing but-I did my best and made it work. It was so fun. My favorite part of the day was when I was cutting the hem of a bride's dress because it needed to be shortened and the bride walked in while I was cutting. This is normal, it would have been fine except she was told it was my first day. Haha the bride's face was priceless! I re-assured her that I knew what I was doing, I went to school for this and I think I re-gained some of her confidence but the fact that I was a few years younger than her probably also freaked her out a bit. Quite frankly cutting a hem is rather scary because if you mess up somehow... it can't be added back so I understand where the bride was coming from. I also helped bustle a dress, the same dress as mentioned above. I have never bustled before so from the first second I walked in I was learning and doing new things. I am SO excited about this job, it is such a great opportunity and will be a wonderful experience.

My Aunt, Uncle, and cousins on my Mom's side came into town. I haven't seen them in a few years-they live in Indiana. They are here for their Spring break to go skiing. They are pretty much PRO, literally, so they are giving the Utah mountains a try. We ate dinner then went to Sammy's. This idea was Talyn's, she introduced us to my new favorite place. Sammy's, located in Provo off Center Street has...... PIE SHAKES. Yes, real pie in shakes! AND sweet potato fries. YUM YUM YUM. The only downfall was that they had run out of most of the pie's we were interested in, good news is our second and third picks were still AMAZING. We wanted Peach Cobbler, Banana Cream Pie, and Blackberry Cheesecake and ended up with Peach Cobbler, Coconut Cream Pie (with a fresh Banana added in) and Pumpkin Pie. SO delicious.
Sunday I woke up to...


and I LOVE IT! People think I am crazy but I love snow ANYTIME. Even if it is April. Our other lovely Conference food tradition is Crepes. We use many toppings such as: bananas, blueberries, raspberries, cinnamon and sugar, brown sugar, powdered sugar, mango orange peach jam, greek yogurt, chestnut spread (from Milan), peanut butter, peanut cashew almond butter, nutella, maple and raspberry syrup, and whipped cream. YUM.

Bain's crepe

My crepe, SO good! 

Sy's masterpiece

Then it was time for Conference. What a JOYOUS day! I sincerely love conference and look forward to it each year because it is so enlightening and enriching. The opportunity that we have to listen to these "mortal angels" and hear the words that the Lord inspired them to teach is such a blessing. A few things I really enjoyed were
  • Dieter F. Uchtdorf explained that the Heavens are open. We must turn down the volume of the world so that we can hear the callings of heaven. He talked about personal conversion and the process it takes. Another thing that was mentioned was how vital it is to serve, acts of service refine our spirits. "Preach the gospel at all times and if possible, use words." Our church is led by revelation, by Jesus Christ.
  • Paul V. Johnson expressed that trials and afflictions are part of our mortal existence. They build character and heart. "The only way to see the view is to make the climb."
  • David A. Bednar spoke about revleation and how there are different ways that it comes. We shouldn't wait around for a big miracle otherwise we will miss the little messages that will build us "line upon line." God requires us to do our best, to act and to be acted upon. Strive to do good and become better. God will inspire our words and guide our steps. 
  • Thomas S. Monson, President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, spoke about Temples. The importance and necessity of them. "Temples are more than stone, they are faith and fasting. They are more than sacrifices, they are blessings." It is only in temples that we are endowed with the endless blessings from on high. Qualify to enter the temple of God-that is our goal. It is a precious possession. The temple is our scared sanctuary away from the world that drags us down.
Salt Lake City Temple
  •  Richard G. Scott is probably my favorite person in this world. He is literally the sweetest and cutest man EVER. I would love to listen and re-listen to his talk all day because he is just wonderful. He talked about love and marriage and eternity (definitely my favorite topic). Satan tries to undermine the importance of marriage but Elder Scott preaches to "get on with life and get married." He counseled to show affection and stressed the importance of expressions of love. "Words are a valuable treasure." Cherish, share, and express them. He said that the reason we should marry young is so we don't get stuck in our ways-that we learn to share a life with another person and form an intertwined life. "It is so rewarding to be married." 
  • D. Todd Christofferson taught that we need to be willingly accepting and seeking correction. The Lord is the gardener, He knows what He wants you to do. Measure up to the expectations of the Lord and He will strengthen you.
  • Lynn G. Robbins spoke of "to-do" vs. "to-be," to-do can be checked off, to-be is ongoing, it's not an event, it's a process. Never let failure turn into an identity. Possessions and professions are not what form your identity. 
  • Jeffrey R. Holland is AMAZING! He testified that Conference is a phenomenon. The speakers are mortal messengers with angelic messages. Their duty is to preach God's words, not their own. Only the coordination of Heaven intervenes with the topics in the meetings. There is something for everyone. "Comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable. The church is not a fast food outlet, we can't always have it our way. One way or another God will have His voice heard."
I love this Gospel that I am a part of. It enriches and blesses my life everyday and I rely so heavily on it's teachings. I have so much Faith in it's truthfulness. I know that the words spoken today were the words of God. I believe in modern revelation and that I can receive personal revelation. That fact brings so much comfort to my soul and allows me to trust in the Lord and follow His will. I love President Monson and know that he is a called man of God. I love and am so grateful for my Atoning Savior, Jesus Christ and His love. I know the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is TRUE. I am grateful for missionaries who go out preaching this doctrine of hope and love. There is nothing that brings me more joy than the knowledge that I have of my Redeemer and the Plan of Happiness that is set for me, and for all.

Happy Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment