Tuesday, January 17, 2012

random thoughts/feelings/etc..

Personal Revelation and Testimony - Barbara Thompson

"The Holy Ghost satisfies and fills up every longing of the human heart, and fills up every vacuum."

"As you appropriately seek for and apply unto the spirit of revelation, I promise you will 'walk in the light of the Lord'...the light it provides will illuminate and enlarge your soul, enlighten your understanding, and direct and protect you and your family."

"The Lord desires to bless us with guidance, wisdom, and direction in our lives. He desires to pour down His Spirit upon us."

I LOVE my Marriage and Family class by Brother Dorius-EVERYONE at BYU should take it!!! (and it's only the second day!)

This was especially applicable to me..

The Joy of Living the Great Plan of Happiness - Elder Scott

How can you receive the greatest happiness and blessings from this earth experience?
  • Learn the doctrinal foundation of the great plan of happiness by studying the scriptures, pondering their content, and praying to understand them. Carefully study and use the proclamation of the First Presidency and the Twelve on the family. It was inspired of the Lord.
  • Listen to the voice of current and past prophets. Their declarations are inspired. You may verify that counsel in your own mind and heart by praying about it as it applies to your special circumstances. Ask the Lord to confirm your choices and accept accountability for them.
  • Obey the inner feelings that come as promptings from the Holy Ghost. Those feelings are engendered by your righteous thoughts and acts and your determination to seek the will of the Lord and to live it.
  • When needed, seek counsel and guidance from parents and your priesthood leaders.
Don't be afraid to act on the feelings and promptings you receive. I know it's scary but, they are from God, they are what God is telling you to do in order for you to receive his fullest blessings.


I challenge everyone to write in a journal. I was SO overwhelmed by this challenge when my therapist told me to.. but it has been such a learning experience for me. It takes a while to start but... don't worry about catching up on the past-I tried, and failed. Just write. Write your unedited feelings, your thoughts. Whatever comes to you, anything and everything. 1 line or a whole page. The good and the bad. You would not believe how many things you find out about yourself. It is really amazing. (if you add constant prayer, reading the Book of Mormon, and reading conference talks to it, the Lord will be closer to you and I promise revelation will come (even if its not what you necessarily want to hear.))

a few things I've learned about myself (and life..and it's been less than a week of writing in it)
  • I am scared of the unknown (hence the theme of this year-FEARLESS) 
  • My favorite word is WHY? (I literally wrote a whole page asking WHY questions) 
  • Sometimes I just need to lay in a ball on my floor crying-it helps
  • I've seen steady patterns in my life (good and bad) 
  • I know better what makes me feel sad
  • I also know better what makes me feel good 
  • Sometimes I don't want to wake up and get out of bed... and that's okay (for a little bit) 
  • I need to "come what may and love it" 
  • Anger is a choice (I have a hard time controlling my emotions, I forgive very easily but I am quick to take offense and be hurt)
  • The devil is REAL, he is sadly in my life WAY more than I would like, realize what tools he uses against you.. you only will by writing them down.. they again are a pattern
  • Life is painful, it is meant for mistakes BUT it will be worth it
  • Satan will always try to convince us that our righteous thoughts and desires are wrong
  • "He makes me mad" is a false statement (still haven't learned how to break that habit..but I am really good at letting other people effect me) 
  • and the big one that I have been pelted with on 3 occasions (talk I read on Sunday, Relief Society lesson, and today in Marriage and Family class) and it finally stuck and made sense... I AM SELFISH. SO selfish. (and that is a crappy realization..it's sad when you don't really realize it to..)
  • Satan wants me miserable (and sadly he has succeeded, I've let him win) 
  • Satan uses fear, deception, doubt and even logic-BEWARE (this is hard for me, I believe it...but how do you go through life not fearing and doubting.. If you are seeking an answer from God, how does He tell you it's wrong if it's not be having a doubt) UGh... so frustrating
  • When you keep the commandments YOU RECEIVE BLESSINGS
  • I'm super bad at REMEMBERING..(which is why that word is stated in the Book of Mormon over 160 times)
I'll save the more personal thoughts and realizations that hang on to most of those bullet points for my own journal.

Please start on yourself (and future self when you read this, if you've stopped...start again!) Don't even necessarily just write about your day... write you intimate thoughts-it feels good to get them down on paper. 


(sorry, another post without pictures..)

2 comments:

  1. Bree! Don't ever apologize about a post with out pictures, you have some mighty good words posted instead. I'm sorry you are suffering with some depression... I would've had no clue! But thank you for your posts and all your words, i've upped my scripture reading because of your posts and decided to be fearless as well! So thank you for all your words and know that so much learning and growing is within this process that will be all worth it. And thank you again and again for teaching my classes for me! You're the greatest!! (And I agree with journaling! I LOVE it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The word FEARLESS came from your class when you had us pick a word.. So thank you! You are inspiring!

      Delete