Saturday, September 5, 2009

THE MET..

I WOULD RECOMMEND CLICKING ON EACH PICTURE BECAUSE IT BRINGS UP A NEW WINDOW WITH THE PICTURE REALLY BIG, THAT WAY YOU CAN SEE THE DETAIL AND BEAUTY OF THIS ART WORK!

Today I completed one of my dreams, I visited the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Obviously it is nothing like European museums (which is the style i prefer) BUT it was amazing. It is HUGE i think i would have to go at least 10 times to see everything. It
was really fun to find some artwork that i had studied this past semester at BYU. One of my most favorite sculptures I was able to see. It is called Burghers of Calais by Rodin. It is so incredible. These men were martyrs, in order to save their city these men had to give their life willingly. This is them walking to their death in order to save their friends and family. Each expression is so real! So emotional and individual, it is truly a magnificent work of art. The first Michelangelo was there, but we weren't able to take pictures of it. I am not a huge fan of abstract art and everything but seeing paintings in person give such a new
feeling, A new appreciation. I tried to capture the brushstrokes and detail to try and pass the beauty of a Monet, Van Gogh or Pollock onto you all! Oh and Rothko, just solid colors on a canvas.... AMAZING. so many layers and thought. Degas had his famous Dancer sculpture that was really fun to see as well.

obviously This museum has more American art and more abstract pieces, or really really old or Middle Eastern pieces that I am really not a fan of. When I make it to Italy and Paris i'll be able to show you what i really love. My dream is to see of course Michelangelo's David, Bernini's St. Teresa in Ecstasy, Chartes Cathedral, and Jan van Eyck's Ghent Altarpiece, David's Death of Marat...and about a million others haha

No comments:

Post a Comment