Tuesday, September 1, 2009

notice, be aware, and be grateful

Everything has really fallen right into place so far! So many experiences have just testified to me that I am suppose to be here, that this is my path and the Lord is watching over me. People are placed in our lives for a reason and so far everyone i met has proved that. Starting back at home...

Taylor Bruce Wilkins. He helped me to study, to gain knowledge, and to follow my dreams. He taught me to always love and to trust in the Lord. He is my biggest example of a true friend and righteous follower of Christ. As he is serving in the Bronx I know that the Lord is by his side always. I know that the Lord has placed Taylor in my life to get me where I am now, he is my own personal savior at times like yesterday I received a very short (1/2 page) and simple letter, cause he had no time to write, that just reassured me that I am doing the right thing, and that I have so many amazing important people in my life that are on my side. Every letter he ends with, May God bless you as you pursue every RIGHTEOUS desire of your heart. I know with my whole soul that God has definitely blessed me as I have been here which just lets me know that He wants me here, there is work here for me to do.

There are so many others from home that I could go into detail about but for now I will just talk about the couple whose lives have blessed mine and I am realizing it through experiences NOW.

Mrs. Gillett. My amazing sewing teacher from Orem High. She taught me so much and is such an example of a talent put to good use. She never fails to show me new techniques and teach me things that will enhance my talents and my life. As we were talking about me moving to NYC she told me about a coat/outerwear designer that I had never heard of...although I should have, he is kind of a big deal, he is in Nordstrom, Saks, Bloomingdales, etc. all the big department stores, he is in their catalogues, on the cover, everything. He is incredible, his name is George Simonton. Well she knows him and she told me that I should look him up and maybe try to intern or something with him. I knew I was too busy this semester so I kind of forgot about it but then I went to class today and guess what..... HE IS MY TEACHER! my Structured Silhouettes teacher! He will be teaching me all about coats and everything he does, he is so classy and brilliant, and so my style. He took us to his work room and OH MY GOODNESS!!!! it was like heaven, so beautiful, there were 100s of coats which we just absolutely magnificent. He is also the most personable and friendly man I've ever met and he is so helpful. Finally a teacher complimented me on an outfit! haha go fashion school! When older men talk about your dress in great detail then you know you have found the right place! Thanks kaleidoscope for the dress haha, I think he already likes me and I haven't even told him about the connection with Mrs. Gillett yet. The class is going to be HARD!!! but so good, I am so excited to learn all about it!

I already expressed the blessings that came through my roommate Hannah, through the girls at church, through Taylors old missionary friend, and through his mission president, all experiences that I would not have had if I was on the wrong path. Everything is falling perfectly into place, I have met only two of my teachers but so far they are both INCREDIBLE and so very nice and approachable! I love it here, I feel at home and safe as i walk through the city, I feel like I fit right in, like I've been here forever. Although I call my mom about 8 times a day it's not because I don't like being on my own it is just cause I love her. I do love everything about my situation here at FIT and I am so happy! I feel like it is going to be really tough, but so worth it cause this is what i love, it is my dream. I know so many people don't think they can accomplish their dreams cause they are TOO big... I am here to say THEY AREN'T! don't let anything stand in the way of your dreams, the Lord will help you. Just as he helped me, there are 2700 applicants, 250 get in. 10,000 people in the school and only about 700 (or less) are Fashion Design majors... IT IS POSSIBLE. with the Lord on your side the odds ARE in your favor. As long as you WORK, DESIRE, AND BELIEVE. Like Taylor said, the Lord will bless you as YOU PURSUE every RIGHTEOUS DESIRE of your heart.

Notice the connections, the small simple everyday blessings, notice the Lord's hand in your life and you will be happier. When you look for it you will find it, in all things, He is always here for us, always ready to help. This is a quote i gave Taylor before his left on his mission, but it applies to everyday life as well.

In the gospel of Jesus Christ you have help from both sides of the veil and you must never forget that. When disappointment and discouragement strike, you remember and never forget that if our eyes could be opened we would see horses and chariots of fire as far as the eye can see, riding at reckless speed to come to our protection. They will always be there, these armies of heaven, in defense of Abraham's seed. -Jeffery Holland.

And another quote I love which is in the book Better Than You Think You Are by Ardeth G. Kapp (which I HIGHLY recommend to EVERYONE!!! it is an amazing uplifting book, thanks kels)

...We may be insignificant and contemptible in our own eyes and in the eyes of others, but the truth remains that we are the children of God and He has actually given His angels-invisible beings of power and might-charge concerning us, and they watch over us and have us in their keeping. -President George Q. Cannon.

No comments:

Post a Comment