Friday, May 6, 2011

Chelsea Market and the High Line

Today I ended up deciding to go to Chelsea Market/Highline. Two of my favorite places in the city. I first went to Anthropologie (which is located in Chelsea Market)... took some pictures in the dressing room for inspiration-ideas (it's a fashion design thing-take pictures so you can re-create it someday or be inspired later on)

my dressing room-look at how my color palate goes so well together! I didn't even mean to

bold flower prints are very in-they were all over


LOVE this cozy shirt (wish it was on sale)

chiffon sleeve detail-definitely making me a shirt like this!
 Chelsea Market is ADORABLE. It is full of little shops (mostly local food restaurants and bakeries)
the outside. 15th and 9th ave.

inside. great design-architecture

some of the shops
 I chose Ronnybrook Dairy for lunch (I get the same amazing sandwich every time I go-avocado mozzarella and tomato), I wanted a frozen lemonade but they didn't have any... but the nice guy behind the counter gave me a sample of their chocolate chip milkshake. SO YUMMY! I never get a full one though because they are $6 and I am annoyingly money conscious. (It may not seem so on this blog because i post only about the meals and things I do purchase but just ask my mom... it's an inner battle that is ongoing... spend the money or starve... I almost feel guilty at every purchase) This is the conversation that plays in my head on a constant basis... 

"IT'S VACATION BREE! LIVE A LITTLE!-See your friends, eat your favorite foods, do a little shopping, you deserve it and you aren't broke, you can afford to!" 

"But I can't... $10 for lunch is ridiculous, I wonder how long I could go without getting too hungry..."

"Would you rather starve? That is STUPID. Pay the money! You don't have anywhere to prepare food there is nothing else you can do PLUS you aren't paying for a hotel... 18 days in NYC and you'll probably spend less than what everyone else pays for a cheap NYC hotel for 2-3 nights. It's OKAY!"

I am still not convinced so I call my mom and the conversation continues.. 

now if only I didn't LOVE clothes and fashion and comfy perfect soft anthropologie 50% off pants....

I did talk myself into (with a little help from mom) getting the most amazing jeans-they aren't anything special but they fit like a glove and where simply perfect, and SO ME! I am all about comfortable. I will not STAND to be uncomfortable due to clothing... I hate it. These pants were pure perfection. (I still feel super guilty but they were on major sale and I know I'll wear them ALL the time.....(that's me still trying to rationalize my spending...)) They are a mauve color and perfect for spring and summer.....and fall and winter! 

I then go to the high line to eat and read.. it was LOVELY (minus the wind and cooler temperature). It is a walkway that is raised above the street along an old train track-with benches and plants/flowers over looking the Hudson. I LOVE IT! 
my view



fat witch (Chelsea Market) brownie. YUM! one of my fav's!


looking towards the Hudson



I had dance rehearsal at FIT for the acro dance I am in and then I went with Alyssa to Starbucks, called Talyn (sat next to creepy guys who kept spitting and smoking in the park (I sat next to them BEFORE they started doing these things)-GROSS, and met up with Carrie! (remember her.. we were in the same program at FIT together-we were all nighter and sewing buddies, she was my best friend in the program and we definitely helped keep each other sane during the hard times!) 
Carrie and me after an all-nighter. FIT 2009

We went into the East Village and tried to eat at The Meatball Shop (apparently it's a big deal...there was an hour and a half wait) so we went to another famous restaurant that I had never heard of that Carrie wanted to go to before she moved backed to her home in Hong Kong... On the walk back to Ashley's I chatted with my dear Katie.



pastrami sandwich-what they're famous for. DELICIOUS.

pickles and cucumbers for the appetizer

It was a good day. I love wandering alone and being in the city! There are lots of things I love about both of these things (being alone, and the city) but they have their downfalls too. Being alone means no pictures that are exciting because no one meaningful is in them because... it's just me and I can't easily take pictures of myself without looking like a goober. The city is AMAZING. Living here has taught  me SO much, I've grown so much (even though I was already a mature teenager-which I am assuming is why my parents let me come at 19 in the first place). It has brought new perspectives and has opened my mind to so much. But I was talking to Carrie about the city and it truly is SO stressful. It sucks you in deep and it is so hard to remember what is important in life. People here work to live... it is so expensive and I feel like it is so easy to be consumed with ideas of money, pride, bitterness, etc. I understand it's like that everywhere-and I can't really explain it too well in writing but living in the city is hard. It is hard to remember family, relationships, and fun when you have to work just to barely afford rent. I love the city, the experience I've had here has been the greatest of my life and I wouldn't change it for anything.. but I think I will stick to only visiting (hopefully  often... once a year will do!!) but never living here again (not unless J.Crew wants me to be their Bridal Expert! ha then I'd come in a flash). Life is too short to be consumed with such worldly things, it is meant to be enjoyed and spent with loved ones... I can't wait to show my kids some day all the places I love here in NYC-and send them on their adventures! This city changes lives but it is SO easy for it to change lives for the worse.. luckily it changed mine for the better.

Thanks mom and dad! For giving me this opportunity. Thank you for believing in me-for letting me follow my dreams of FIT-NYC and now BYU. You guys are always so supportive and loving and never question my desires. You guys are the reason I am where I am today! I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment