Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Milan day 3

Saturday June 12, 2010
We met as a class to discuss our final presentations and projects. We talked about all that goes in to designing and producing a collection. We continued to discuss the differences between NYC and Paris in relation to fashion and design aesthetic and it really is so interesting because I feel like there are quite a lot of people in the city who dress the way I do, maybe it is just at church, but there are some and I am the only one who sees it. Everyone else talks about the individuality and the young crowd. But when I think about NYC I think nice suits for men and women, high heels, pretty blouses, nice skirts, etc. It is just interesting how we each see what we want to see. Yes, black is definitely a prominent color but it isn’t all NYC has to offer. It is decided I am more of a European style as opposed to NYC. Funny that I only really wear J.Crew which is an American company, I haven’t seen any of their stores here in Europe. I guess I am more Europe style because I wear color, which isn’t a bad thing. I LOVE COLOR.

Heather and I went off shopping, to the quad, the duomo, and to corso como. We had a bridal company on a list so we stopped in, well she actually wouldn’t let us in the store without an appointment but we got a good look at the dresses and they were NOT worth seeing, ew, why are some dresses so horrible…. It hurts my soul!

We also shopped H&M to see a difference (honestly I don’t go in the one n NYC either so… I wouldn’t know if there was), Zara (my first experience, I have never been in the one back home. It was fine, I found a blazer for 50 Euros that I liked, and a dress, but that’s all. We stopped in some other places along the way then finally stopped for pizza. It was very good, thin crust, we shared a 9 euro pizza, didn’t order drinks (water is about 2 Euro) tax included, no tip. We thought we were being thrifty, then they charged us a 6 euro fee for sitting and eating in the restaurant. LAME. Gallery Vittorio Emanuell is a famous shopping place by the Duomo so we went through that. Funny, right next to Louis Vitton in this huge, famous, high end shopping center was McDonalds, P.S. there are 400 McDonalds in Milan, just fyi. SO MANY!!! Naturally our next stop was gelato I got hazelnut/banana, it was DELICIOUS. Oh how I love gelato! There was another sweet, fresh, innovative shopping street that we were asked to go to called corso como, especially a store called 10 corso como. It was very unique and high end, very cool. It wasn’t exactly my style but it was interesting. I had a huge headache and was so tired so we headed home, got to the hotel around 5, napped for an hour or so! It was great.

Tonight we had individual meeting s with our professor about our collection, ideas, focus, etc. I still was not completely sure what exactly I was going to do for this collection, it is a bridal collection, that is all I knew. I had this idea that kept coming back to me, inspiration I guess, but I kind of pushed it away because it would be a lot more work, it is a hard concept and I am just lazy…BUT it kept gnawing at me so I decided it would be something I couldn’t push away, plus I had no other ideas so… it was decided. A completely modest wedding line. I know, I know, it doesn’t sound hard but it is, it is so hard to make convenient, movable sleeves and to design with so much fabric and coverage. I tried to do some last semester and I only ended up with 2 out of 12. So I have my work cut out of me. I started talking about the LDS culture and our modesty ‘restrictions.’ Why we get married so young and how that relates to very young/tacky prom dress type wedding dresses that are basically the only thing available and how there are many girls who want something different, something more sophisticated. But for them all that is available is a strapless dress that needs to be built up which equals, more money. Basically we were supposed to meet for 15 minutes, and by the time was up we were still just talking culture and modesty in relation to dresses. We hadn’t talked at all about my project really. He was VERY VERY interested and intrigued by our culture and wanted to hear more so we met later after he had finished talking with everyone else. We had dinner and talked for another couple hours about the same thing; about a lot of aspects of the LDS religion; from not drinking alcohol/coffee, to missions, to lifestyle, to marriage, to families, etc. It was so fun and nice to talk about it and the best part was he wanted to hear it! He actually had a menswear student who was in his class and had just gotten back from his mission. My professor knew nothing really about what a mission meant or what being Mormon meant so I was able to tell him. He thinks there is a major market for me. We talked a lot about shawls/cardigans/etc. in relation to prom and wedding dresses. I was so happy I was able to share information about the gospel. I got to talk about every single thing I love; weddings, gospel, family, missions, fashion, designing, etc. P.S. My professor was also a gymnast! Cool huh. We talked about that a couple days ago. He is just such a sweet man. I am again getting very excited about my collection. I think I will also throw in some bridesmaid dresses with the wedding dresses to add some color.

P.S. Meet my boyfriend. Nicest suit ever. Cashmere perfection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment