Saturday, June 5, 2010

PARIS post 1

Alrighty friends, let’s begin. My trip to Paris, POST 1

First off, the internet in the hotel is 9 Euro per hour and you can't re use time later so it is honestly ridiculous. So I am blogging from McDonalds. Thank them for free WIFI.

Before I left NYC I was so loved by my dear mother, I thank her greatly, I had received a letter from Elder Wilkins at my home (since he knew I was without a permanent address for over 3 weeks) and my mommy scanned it for me and emailed it so I got to read in more than 2 weeks earlier than I should have. And it was beautiful, I am so happy!

I left NYC at noon June 2 for Paris. I took the Subway to the airport and got there around 1:30. oh wait p.s. before I left the city I got stuck in the elevator with 5 HOT firemen. AWESOME. haha one of those things that would always be sweet but NEVER happen. Well, it did. I was just going up to the 5th floor, they got on at the 3rd. There was one making funny/awkward conversation about how hot it was (seriously 100+) it was miserable. They were all in their gear and everything. It got to the 5th floor but wouldn't open. Another comment on how I must have eaten an extra muffin that morning so it was too heavy. It wasn't aligned and wouldn't move. They started banging and trying to force the door open and it started moving again, keep in mind, tiny elevator, 6 people, 100+ degrees, it got to the 6th floor (where they were going) and did the same thing.... Basically it finally went down to the 5th floor and opened and we all got out so it really wasn't a big deal but I thought it was sweet I got stuck in the elevator with NYC firemen. My flight didn't leave until 4:40 so we had a bit of a wait in the airport.

Plane Ride. Oh ya, we are going to France, all instructions are in French, naturally, but it is so different hearing a different language as the dominant language. I was so confused. It was a 6 hour flight, funny thing is it is only an hour more than going home to Utah except this flight gives you 2 COMPLETE meals, not just peanuts.

 For dinner I had Beef Borguignon with mashed potatoes, a side I can't explain (it was an odd flavor), cheese, bread, cheesecake and.... RICE PUDDING. I was so happy. 2 of the guys sitting by me in my group didn't want theirs so I got 3. For Breakfast they gave us yogurt, a chocolate chip pastry, and orange juice. I slept for a couple 5 minute intervals… nothing too great, I tried very hard though, it is just SO UNCOMFORTABLE. I WILL ride 1st class sometime… not fair. Their seats and feet space are amazing.

I flew a little over 3630 miles. I arrived at midnight NYC time, 10 pm Utah time, and 6 am Paris time. I lost 14 hours in the day plus 4.5 before airport and 3.5 after the airport traveling. Almost 22 hours lost in transition. It is so crazy that everyone is living normally on so many different time frames, and in so many different cultures and languages. FOR KATIE: You would have loved him, he had great glasses, very much our style! French man-ish with glasses! Oh and there are a LOT of French-man suits here, nice cut/perfect fit/amazing!

The view from the airplane window was beautiful; my goal is to once a month get up early to watch a sunrise because they are magnificent. I wish this picture did it justice. The sun was literally BRIGHT neon orange/pink/red.

Motorcycles are defiantly the way to go; they drive in the middle of the road, between the lanes, barely scraping by in between cars, insane but convenient. The traffic was HORRIBLE. It was a 45 minute ride that took about 2 or so hours.  Cops also drive little cars because they also go in between traffic, crazy driving. I even say a motorcyclists view view mirror fly off because it hit a car, on the highway.

We arrived at the hotel around 9:30 and we were off! We had some delicious pastries for breakfast and then went on a treasure hunt of Paris. I went with Heather, she is my roommate and she is the other girl doing bridal so we have been bonding for the past week! We ran into another man who spoke no French while trying to ask for directions, he was from Canada looking for a Starbucks, haha. Luckily Heather speaks some French so we are able to get around, I just smile. P.S. the metro system here is AMAZING! It is so easy to understand, so clean, so fast, so convenient. BUT there is NO grid system, no way of getting around; it is like downtown Manhattan where is starts to have no order, only WAY worse.

Stop 1: Rue Cler-A food market. I got some delicious looking cherries for only 2,50! YUMMY.


Stop 2: George Pompidou Center- Modern Art museum. We didn’t go in.

Stop 3: Forum de Halles: Mall like, over 180 shops
Stop 4: Shakespeare and Company Book Store

Stop 5: Seine: We took a little stroll, it is beautiful, everyone was picnicking! So fun.
Stop 6: Notre Dame: A-MAZ-ING. So happy I was able to study it in my Art History class because it made me appreciate it so much. It is truly so beautiful.


We showered and cleaned up and went back by the Notre Dame to Café La Bucherie. Heather had been there before and remembered the crème brulee being AMAZING, so naturally I had to go, and it was. SO HAPPY. We got Pizza to share, I guess it isn’t exactly French… we didn’t know though.

This is my hotel.

I was beat, I went STRAIGHT to bed! It honestly doesn’t even feel like a foreign country except I don’t understand what anyone is saying. Maybe it is just because I am tired. I love it though and it is beautiful. The weather has been GREAT!

No comments:

Post a Comment