Sunday, January 9, 2011

back @ BYU

Brigham Young University is a LOVELY institution. I truly love it actually. I forgot how much I LOVE learning.
 JSB-Joseph Smith Building
 Library
 A small piece of campus
(images found at BYU.edu)

So many people keep asking me if it is hard coming back here after being in NYC... nope. Each place is perfect in it's own way and has completely different things to offer. It also helps that as a Pisces I am very adaptable to change "Your (Pisces/my) element is water, and the imagery of the sea is evident in how easily you adapt to the ever-shifting currents around you."-The Only Astrology Book You'll Ever Need. I lived in and loved NYC but I love it here as well!

So far I really like my classes. Here's how my first week went.
Bright and early Tuesday morning, 7:45 am, I walked up the lovely stairs on the south end of campus (BYU is famous for lots of stairs.. they may be the death of me-it never gets easier haha) I literally got to the top and started walked to the JSB for class and I was dying.. yes my legs are out of shape but I couldn't breathe. The altitude change is so hard! My mouth was SO dry and I was panting (these stairs aren't even that big either) but I made it!

Accounting 200: My teacher seems cool... It doesn't really matter because we only go to class a total of 10 times. Good thing too because it's my 8 am class. Rather than going to class we have 2-3 hour lectures online that we have to watch and take quizzes on.

American History through 1877: I haven't taken History for about 5 years... I remember NOTHING. BUT I do know I used to love History and I am so looking forward to this class. It will be hard, I can tell. We have 7 required books (2 textbooks that will be thoroughly read and 5 books that we will be writing reports on) SO far I have LOVED reading the textbooks, it is all so interesting to me. There WILL be blog posts about this class-I love the insights and interesting things I am learning and will want to share!

Ballet Technique 4: About KILLED me... I haven't taken a "real" Ballet class in about 2 years and it showed. Yikes I was SO sore and oh man...... I hope I gain back all my technique and flexibility FAST because I was so embarrassed. Taking off 2 years is a LONG time and obviously affected my  performance-I just wasn't prepared for it. Also the altitude change made it so hard to breathe and hopefully I will get used to the change soon. Throughout the week I did get better everyday and I am so excited to be back in the Ballet world (my body is too).

Excel/PowerPoint: This is a block class, we have Excel for the fist half and Power Point for the second. 

Day 2

Advanced Jazz: ALSO so excited about this class-I've taken it before so I am auditing it which means I just get to go to class and enjoy dancing and not worry about all the extra assignments and things. I can't wait to get back into shape (our 45 minute KILLER warm up will do it for me-yay) AND my full flexibility will surely come back with this class and Ballet.

New Testament: Again a class I am so excited for because I haven't really studied this book at all and am excited to learn! My teacher seems pretty awesome too.Quite a bit of reading in this class too, obviously the New Testament (only Matthew, Mark, Luke, John this semester) and another extra TBA religious novel.

Anthropology: The study of people! My professor seems a bit odd but the material should be great! So far we have 2 textbooks and 1 reading book. We watch lots of films and write lots of papers.


Homework load this semester is going to be ROUGH!!! I have SO much reading due each week. Reading is such a hard thing too because it doesn't work when you are tired if you want to retain any information... so hopefully I figure out a good routine. I am planning on staying on campus until at least 7 everyday (I get so distracted doing homework at home) and then going on Saturdays so that when I get home at night I won't have to do much homework and can work on other non school related things. It is a really hard schedule BUT I am so excited about each subject so hopefully I can get everything done and do well in all my classes.

I spent my FIRST Saturday at the library, 1:30-8. I finished quite a bit for this week but still have about 17 hours of homework due by Friday. Lucky Me.
and this is what I will be up to for the next 4 months... school school school. All my assignments/readings/quizzes/exams/papers etc. are on this calendar. Hopefully it can keep me organized. 

No comments:

Post a Comment