Monday, January 10, 2011

only at BYU

So... here in Mormon-ville we have some VERY different perspectives on things, though I LOVE being Mormon and I LOVE BYU, and I LOVE our unique culture.. some things really make me chuckle... here are a few of my favorite quotes so far heard on BYU campus.

1) Dating someone for ONE year is a LONG time. Example...two girls were talking in the locker room about one of them getting married this May, the girl getting married said something like this..."Oh my gosh, I am just SO glad that we've waited this long. He's been my best friend FOR like EVER and we just know each other SO well." Yep, by the time they get married they will have known each other for.... one year. WOW, that IS forever!!! haha I about died. Yes, it is long for Utahans... but I don't think you can technically say you've been "best friends FOREVER" if you've only known them a year.....

2) Life here is VERY expensive. Example... In one of my classes my professor was stressing the importance on not cheating yourself out of your education and how important it is to LEARN the material and try hard in classes.. WHY? Because "You're paying about $2400 a semester to go here, about $1200 for 4 months rent, and maybe (on the cheap side) $1500 for food/entertainment/books a semester-so a total of $5100 or more a semester to come to school here, that is VERY EXPENSIVE-you  need to make your education worth it." Yes, $5,000 may seem expensive and I guess it's a good chunk of money BUT I won't even tell you what tuition is at FIT and how much my Fashion supplies were OR how much I paid for my shared studio apartment (definitely not the $300 that people pay here which actually gets them their own room, a living area, and a separate kitchen), and how much cereal costs in NYC... let alone any sort of take out food.. and don't even get me started on the movie ticket prices. Let's just say that once these kids move out of Utah or switch to ANY other school they will be in for a treat!

3) Modesty. Here is BYU's Grooming and Appearance standards. For Women: "A clean and well-cared-for appearance should be maintained. Clothing is inappropriate when it is sleeveless, strapless, backless, or revealing; has slits above the knee; or is form fitting. Dresses, skirts, and shorts must be knee-length or longer. Hairstyles should be clean and neat, avoiding extremes in styles or colors. Excessive ear piercing (more than one per ear) and all other body piercing are not acceptable. Shoes should be worn in all public campus areas."-found here.

I do a pretty darn good job of upholding to these standards... or so I thought. I was studying in the JSB when this 75 year old lady came up to me and said my shirt was too low cut... Um, what?... I just said I was sorry and would try better next time, I tried to pull my shirt up to make her happy... but it was really not low so it didn't really change anything... she continued to say..and these are her exact words "You know, you can tell if it is too low by looking in the mirror and if you can see any roundness, it is too low." Oh!... hmmm... awkward.... nope I don't think I saw any roundness today-actually I don't really think I could if I tried but thanks. Again I just kind of nodded.. She then leaned closer and said "Don't worry, no one else could hear me but you, I said that really quietly." hahahaha oh man I was dying, best day ever! Here is what my shirt looked like (yes I was wearing a necklace and cardigan that covered most of my shirt anyway.
Classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment