Saturday, January 22, 2011

(I meant to write this post 2 weeks ago..)

A couple weeks ago I started learning about the Indian point of view about the Europeans coming into their land. (and also it is very interesting to think about the Indians in relation to the people in Book of Mormon) ALSO something I can't wait to find out is all the specific timing and the FULL history, the FULL time-line of EVERYONE on Earth, what we have in history books ALONG with the Bible history AND Book of Mormon because I get all confused when I think about what happened everywhere at what time and who was alive when other people were alive ETC. I know there are dates I can find online and in books but I just want it laid out for me so I can see and understand everything! ...

Back to my history class-I have a greater new found respect, love, and honor for some of the Indian clans (I mean really... how would you feel if someone knocked down your house, left you with nothing (or worse) and built their own house on your property without giving you anything in return) AND I rekindled my love for Pocahontas (I had a Pocahontas birthday when I was around 5! I know, I am awesome) I made Talyn watch both the first and second movies with me! She is SO pretty and the SONGS, they are GREAT. I recommend bringing out the kid in you and hitting up that Disney classic.
 and I had not only 1 but 2 Pocahontas outfits! 

She must have been my favorite-Letter to Santa 1995

 Again back to history class, I was reading one of my textbooks The West in the History of the Nation and came across some interesting and insightful things.

The Requerimiento (Spanish document read in every land they claimed)
".. We ask and require you... that you acknowledge the Church as the Ruler and Superior of the whole world and the high priest called Pope, and in his name King and Queen.. our lords...and that you consent and give place that these religious fathers should declare and preach to you.. If you do so, you will do well, and that which you are obliged to do to their Highnesses, and we in their name shall receive you in all love and charity, and shall leave you your wives, and you children, and your lands, free without servitude, that you may do with them and with yourselves freely that which you like and think best, and they shall not compel you to turn Christians...But, if you do not do this, and maliciously make delay in it, I certify to you that, with the help of God, we shall powerfully enter into your country, and shall make war against you in all ways and manners that we can, and shall subject you to the yoke and obedience of the Church and of their Highnesses; we shall take you and your wives and your children, and shall make slaves of them, and as such shall sell and dispose of them as their Highnesses may command; and we shall take away your goods, and shall do you all the mischief and damage that we can, as to vassals who do not obey, and refuse to receive their lord, and resist and contradict him; and we protest that the deaths and losses which shall accrue from this are your fault, and not that of their Highnesses, or ours..."
Seriously.

An Indian, Pablo Tac, who was grateful for the Spanish Missionaries said "O merciful God, why didst Thou leave us for many centuries, years, months and days in utter darkness after Thou camest to the world? Blessed be Thou from this day through future centuries."
- I love this because and Indian who supposedly hasn't had connection with the other side of the World KNEW that God came to America... why? Because He did! The Book of Mormon is TRUE! Here is proof for everyone who wants it... what amazes me is that after reading this (I mean historians reading this) wouldn't they be somewhat curious in how Pablo Tac knew this...just sayin...
image found here
And my last exciting thing I read was Micmac Elder's Speech to French Settlers I LOVE IT! The French came and tried to convert all the Indians, they thought very poorly of the Indians a believed the French were FAR superior to them, here is what an Indian said back...

" I am greatly astonished that the French have so little cleverness...in the effort to persuade us to convert our.. wigwams into houses of stone and of wood which are tall and lofty.. as the trees. ...But why now do men of five to six feet in height need houses which are sixty to eighty? ... do we not find in our own all the conveniences and the advantages that you have with yours, such as reposing, drinking, sleeping, eating, and amusing ourselves with our friends if we wish?...Thou reproachest us, very inappropriately, that our country is a little hell in contrast with France, which thou comparest to a terrestrial paradise...every kind of provision in abundance. Thou sayest of us also that we are the most miserable and most unhappy of all men, living without religion, without manners, without honour, without social order, and... without any rules, like the beasts in our woods and our forests, lacking bread, wine, and a thousand other comforts which thou hast in superfluity in Europe...I beg thee now to believe that, all miserable as we seem in thine eyes, we consider ourselves nevertheless much happier than thou in this, that we are very content with the little that we have; and believe also... that thou deceivest thyself greatly if thou thinkest to persuade us that thy country is better than ours. ((HERE IS WHERE IT GETS REALLY GOOD)) For if France...is a terrestrial paradise, art thou sensible to leave it? And why abandon wives, children, relatives, and friends? Why risk thy life and thy property every year, and why venture thyself with such risk...to the storms and tempests of the sea in order to come to a strange an barbarious country which thou considerest the poorest and least fortunate of the world? ..Since we are wholly convinced of the contrary, we scarcely take the trouble to go to France, because we fear, with good reason, lest we find little satisfaction there, seeing, in our experience, that those who are natives thereof leave it every year in order to enrich themselves on our shores. We believe...that you are incomparably poorer than we...We find all our riches and all our conveniences among ourselves, without trouble and without exposing our lives to the dangers in which you find yourselves in constantly through your long voyages...It is true that we have not always had the use of bread and of wine which your France produces... (but) experience is making it very plain that those of us live longest who, despising your bread, your wine, and your brandy, are content with their natural food of beaver, of moose, of waterfowl, and fish... there is no Indian who does not consider himself infinitely more happy and more powerful than the French."

I omitted alot and I bet no one even finished reading what I did write haha, BUT it is good, the whole speech is GOOD! I love it.

I am very grateful though for all the steps that brought forth this great land that I live in, The United States of America. I just love learning the history and seeing different points of view on things!

I also recently when to the BYU museum to see the Carl Bloch exhibit-it was phenomenal! One of my favorite paintings (found here) is of Christ being comforted by and Angel during the Atonement. The actual painting is INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!! It is up until May 7th, I highly recommend going!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment